Monday, July 23, 2012

Pay attention

Something happened today that made me stop in my tracks and listen to the small voice saying, "pay close attention to the events happening right now." I got a phone call out of the blue from someone I ad met once at a coffee shop for 30 minutes. It was after a women's leadership retreat. And instead of feeling empowered, I was feeling bogged down with my own limited sense of what was possible for me.
But I guess I made a good impression. Because the person I met called today to tell me about the formation of a new non-profit that is being formed to pull together three conservation areas in CA. It wasn't clear if he was interested in me or someone like me but mentioned a few things that made me stop again. The first was: 1) visionary - they want to do something proactive and visionary; 2) substantial position that could turn into an ED position; 3) big picture view - they want someone who has a big picture view of the events happening in the nation and the world.
When something like this happens, I tend to not think about the details (what work would i be doing? what would my salary be? what benefits would I receive?) but instead my instinct is to go into blind. Those three things alone is enough for me to "throw out the thoughts" and jump into a new adventure.
So, what is my hesitation? Well, I am observing my reaction right now. I feel flattered that he called me. It feel good to be recognized. (those alone are not enough to leave one job and go to another). I didn't want to leave my job yet.
I really want to go with the flow and follow my heart. I want to dance with life, not struggle with it. And so I'd like to wait a bit and think about if expressing interest in the opportunity would create an uncoordinated dance with lots of foot stepping and missed steps or if it would lead to greater grace.
But this reflection today is about remembering to PAY ATTENTION. Events do not unfold without meaning. pay close attention and I will dance with grace.

No comments: